Colorado has one of the top educational systems in the country. The local and secondary schools employ 70% of the 176,000 educational professionals in the state. With the population in Colorado growing each year, the quantity of teacher positions grows. Employment in public education has grown 21% since 1998. With the diversity of Denver’s population, the charter school has seen a 300% increase in enrollment from 2000 to 2006. Charter schools in Colorado now number 142, giving much needed options to parents and students living in the Denver area.
Colorado has 12 four-year public institutions and 27 total including 15 schools with a 2 year program. Colorado universities and colleges are nationally known and ranked. According to U.S. News and World Report (2008), top ranking institutions include: Colorado School of Mines (#75), University of Colorado at Boulder (#79), University of Denver (#85), and Colorado State University (#124). With Colorado having one of the most highly educated work-forces in the United States, the education system is vital to our strong economy. With a long term commitment to research and training, Colorado is preparing for the future of our children.
Denver and Central/South Suburban Schools
Making your decision to relocate to the Denver area will involve many important considerations. Having a real estate agent who has firsthand knowledge of the schools available to your children can be key to a successful transition. I can guide you through the process and will provide both a peace of mind and an understanding of the options for education.
Colorado has a tradition of excellent educational opportunities with a wide variety of options including private, charter and excellent public schools. As your agent, I will provide a wealth of information about schools, which may assist you in your search for a home in the Denver area.
Newsweek Magazine’s 100″Top High Schools for 2013″ recognized the following Denver-Metro schools in their annual list:
- D’Eveyln Jr./Sr. High School (Jefferson County School District): Denver
- Cherry Creek High School (Cherry Creek School District): Greenwood Village
- Smoky Hill High School (Cherry Creek School District) Aurora
- Evergreen High School (Jefferson County School District: Evergreen
- Rock Canyon High School (Douglas County School District): Highlands Ranch
- Grandview High School (Cherry Creek School District) Aurora
- Eaglecrest HighSchool (Cherry Creek School District): Aurora
- Dever School of the Arts (Denver Public Schools/ Magnet) Denver
- Arapahoe High School (Littleton Public School District) Centennial
- ThunderRidge High School (Douglas County Schools): Highlands Ranch
- Lakewood High School (Jefferson Public Schools): Lakewood
- Denver Center for International Studies (Denver Public Schools): Denver
- Douglas County High School (Douglas County School District): Castle Rock
- Chaparral High School (Douglas County Schools): Parker
International Baccalaureate (IB) High School Programs
IB programs provide an intensive, rigorous, pre-college curriculum. Not surprisingly, many of the top public schools noted by Newsweek also have an IB program. Arapahoe District #5 offers IB programs at Cherokee and Smoky Hill High Schools; Arapahoe District #6 at Littleton High School; and Douglas County District at Douglas County, Chaparral, and ThunderRidge High Schools.
Newer to the public school sector is the charter school. Many wonderful charter schools exist in the state of Colorado and have provided a much needed option to parents in the educational sector. For more information about charter schools in your specific area of interest, refer to www.cde.state.co.us/index_charter.htm . This is the Colorado Department of Education website and will provide you with FAQ’s and locations for charter schools in your area.
Public School Resources
Private School Options in the Denver Area
As you make your very important decision regarding education for your children, one of the options may be a private school. Denver and the southern suburbs offer many of the top options in the state. There are schools which provide a K-12 education as well as private elementary, middle, and high schools respectively. Here is a list of private high schools (unless noted as other, i.e. P-6) in the area.
- Aspen Academy
- Bishop Machebeuf High School
- Cherry Hills Christian School
- Colorado Academy
- Denver Academy
- Denver Academy of the Torah
- Denver Christian
- Denver Lutheran High
- Front Range Christian School
- Graland Country Day
- JK Mullen Catholic High
- Kent Denver
- Regis Jesuit High
- Sheppard of the Hills Christian
- St. Anne’s Episcopal
- St. Mary’s Academy High
- St. Mary’s Parish of Littleton
- St. Thomas More Parish School
- Stanley British Primary School
- The Denver Waldorf
- Valor Christian High School